Are you also struggling to get GarageBand for windows? Being a PC user myself, I feel the frustration behind not getting so many software on Windows devices, like GarageBand. I have such a curated beast as my PC device and I don’t want to give it up for an iMac!
So, after months of frustration and weeks of research and hits and trials, I got around this issue and figured out how to download Garageband for PC? For real, I have it on my PC and I am using it with no delays. In this article I will share the ways to download GarageBand for Windows in 2020.
GarageBand for Windows
|Windows 7 OR Later version|
GarageBand is a comprehensive state of a fully equipped art music studio developed by Apple Inc. One of the most downloaded and used electronic music studios in the world, with GarageBand you can produce tracks with or without instruments. GarageBand comes with a powerful sound library where you will get a complete music band-like setup to create your music. If you have a knack for creating music and are looking for a professional setup, Garage Band is your go-to music studio. Although GarageBand is only available as a smartphone application for non-Apple users, an emulator can be used to download it on your device. The steps for the same are elaborated below.
You can trust GarageBand to be a complete music creation studio which comes equipped with percussion, synths and orchestral instruments as well as an intuitive keyboard. The user-friendly interface of this software helps users who wish to learn, record, play and even create professional grade sounds. I extremely appreciate apple making this app and interface so easy and accessible for every age group.
The audio creations can even be shared with a global audience through a single click for drawing in more enthusiasm. This digital audio workstation is meant for both iOS and macOS devices which helps in creating podcasts and music. GarageBand is a part of the iLife software suit and helps out drastically in the creation of multiple tracks using pre-made loops, pre-made MIDI keyboards, voice recordings and other instrumental effects.
How To Download GarageBand For Windows?
System requirements for downloading GarageBand for PC-
- Windows laptop or PC running: Windows 7 or later versions.
- Minimum RAM– 2GB.
- Intel Core Processor: 13 chipset- over i5< preferred.
- HARD DRIVE SPACE: 2GB- empty
How to create a MAC Virtual Machine & download GarageBand via VMWare?
You can run GarageBand on your Windows machine if your PC has adequate resources of running a virtual machine version. For this, you will require a copy of VirtualBox and MacOS Sierra. You will have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Firstly, you will have to install VirtualBox in your system. This should ideally be done in a drive having adequate free hard disk space.
- Next you will have to download a copy of MacOS Sierra in your computer and extract the contents.
- Thirdly, you will have to open VirtualBox and create the VM by selecting ‘New’ option.
- Guest OS can be set as Apple Mac OS X.
- Users will have to select the ‘Create a virtual disk now’ option after they have allocated adequate memory to the process.
- Next you will have to click on ‘Create.’
- In this step, you need to select the brand new virtual disk and then choose ‘Settings.’
- You will have to check the ‘Use an Existing Virtual Disk’ option by removing the ‘Hard disk.’
- Next you need to select the sierra.vmdk file by navigating to the Sierra download.
- In this step, users will have to navigate to Documents\Virtual Machines in their Windows Explorer before right clicking on the VMX file.
- At the end of the file, you will have to paste ‘smc.version = “0”’ and save the same.
- Now you need to choose System tab from Settings while making sure that ‘Floppy’ option is not selected.
- The Acceleration Tab needs to be selected in ‘System’ and the box adjacent to Intel VT-x has to be checked.
- Ultimately, you will have to click on OK and initiate loading of the VM by selecting the green Start arrow.
Alternatively, try VMWare to work for you:
How to download GarageBand using Bluestacks?
- When it comes to a mobile emulator, the most downloaded one in the industry currently is BlueStacks. An emulator is generally used to replicate the user interface of one device onto another. This allows apps and software of the former device to run on the latter. In this case particularly, since BlueStacks is an Android emulator, the Android smartphone user interface will be replicated on your device after you install the emulator.
- Before downloading any emulator, one should always make sure the emulator is not corrupt or malware-infected in any way. A corrupt emulator hampers your system and drastically affects performance. BlueStacks checks out this box. It is completely virus-free and does not require any subscription or download fee. It is also one of the fastest emulators around and its performance is backed by several thousand positive user reviews.
- The download link of BlueStacks is as follows: https://www.bluestacks.com. Once you click on the link, the official BlueStacks webpage will open up. Click on the green button that reads ‘Download BlueStacks’.
- Once the emulator is downloaded, set up the files on your device and install it. On launching BlueStacks, you will find the interface to resemble that of an Android smartphone as mentioned before.
- From the home page of the emulator, open up the Google Play Store. You will be immediately redirected to a login page. Without logging in, you will not be allowed to download apps from the Play Store.
- If you have an existing Google account, you can use those credentials to log in. Otherwise, you can set up a new account then and there with the help of a simple email verification step.
- Once you have successfully logged in to the store, you will get unrestricted access to browse and download applications from there. Go to the Search bar at the top of the page and search for GarageBand.The app will immediately appear on your screen as a search result. Click on the Install button next to the app icon. Garage Band will be downloaded and installed on BlueStacks.
- From the Apps List of BlueStacks, tap on the GarageBand icon to launch the application, and start producing your music!
How to download GarageBand using iPadian?
iPadian is considered to be one of the best iOS mobile emulators for PC. It is currently the most downloaded iOS emulator that has served millions of people across the world. As iPadian is compatible with all operating systems, be it iOS or Windows, it is widely preferred, over other iOS emulators, by users when it comes to downloading applications that are iOS exclusive only.
- GarageBand is one such application that is Apple-exclusive. However, Windows users can download GarageBand using iPadian. The emulator can be downloaded free of cost and is virus-free. When it comes to performance, iPadian serves well even under heavy load and is especially known for its speed.
- The download link to iPadian is as follows: https://ipadian.net. As soon as you click on the link, you will be directed to the official iPadian web page. On scrolling down, you will come across the ‘Download iPadian now’ button. After the iPadian files are downloaded and stored on your device, start the installation process of the application in your preferred directory.
- iPadian, being an iOS emulator, it’s main function is to provide an iOS like atmosphere in the device it is being downloaded in. This mainly entails providing an user interface that matches and functions just like that of an iPhone. Also, users will get access to the App Store from iPadian and be able to download applications from the store on their devices.
- The emulator is always kept up to date so you will currently be able to use iOS 13. Go to the home page and open up the Apple Store. First time users will have to log in to the store with an Apple ID. If one does not have an account, a new Apple ID can be created by going through the ‘Sign In’ option beside the ‘LogIN’ button. ’
- After getting access to the store by means of logging in, you will be able to download apps meant for Apple users only. All you need to do next is search for the GarageBand application on the search box that is available at the top of your screen.
- GarageBand will immediately appear on your screen. Click on the Install button next to the app icon. After the download process, go to the Apps List of iPadian and launch GarageBand from there. Start making music instantly!
How to download GarageBand using Andy Emulator?
- One of the best Android emulators currently, Andy Emulator provides a seamless connection between a PC and an Android-powered smartphone. One of the more used features of Andy emulator is its ability to be able to receive app downloads from a web browser directly into its user interface. Andy Emulator is fast, efficient, and reliable. It can be easily used to install GarageBand on your device.
- The download link to Andy Emulator is as follows: https://www.andyroid.net/. When you click on the link, the official webpage of Andy Emulator will open up. On scrolling down, you will find a green coloured ‘Download’ button. On clicking on the button, the emulator will be downloaded on your PC.
- Andy is compatible with both Mac and Windows systems so either operating system will not be a problem. After downloading the emulator, go to the storage where the setup files have been saved and install Andy on your device.
- As mentioned before, Andy bridges the gap between a PC and a smartphone. This is made possible by replicating the entire framework of an Android smartphone on your PC. When you open up Andy, the interface of a smartphone will show up.
- From the home page of the emulator, open up the Google Play Store. As you are accessing the store from the Andy emulator for the first time, you will find a log in page popping up. Here you can either use an existing Google account to login if you have one or simply create a new Gmail account and register.
- After you have logged in, the process thereafter to download the application is simple. You will find the Search box at the top of the window. Type out GarageBand on the Search Box.
- On pressing Enter, GarageBand will appear on your device screen. Make sure the GarageBand you are installing has Apple Inc. listed as its developer as there are several duplicates that make their rounds in the market. Click on the Install button next to the application.
- GarageBand will be downloaded and installed on the Andy Emulator. To locate and launch the app, you will have to go back to Andy emulator and open up the list of apps there. Find GarageBand in the ‘Recently Downloaded’ column and tap on it. Alternatively, you can also search for GarageBand on the App Search box on your emulator.
Why Should You Choose GarageBand?
GarageBand has always emerged as one of the leading music production studios in terms of Digital Audio Workstations. It is quite fascinating how under the umbrella of such a simple and user-friendly interface, GarageBand offers so many exciting editing features and audio manipulation techniques. Starting with the cost factor, GarageBand can be downloaded completely free of cost where other major competitors mostly require paid subscriptions to access full versions of the applications. This makes GarageBand the first choice for users looking for a high-end music editing software. Even though GarageBand is only available in the Apple Store, Windows users (or any other operating system in question) can also easily get it with the help of an iOS emulator, the emulator also being a free software that is easily available online.
When it comes to nuances of editing, GarageBand has made sure it delivers nothing but the best for its customers. Credited with having one of the best virtual electronic drum kits, the Drummer tool adds greatly to the drum sounds. The audio library also has several saved drum grooves that can be tailored according to the tempo of your song. If you are looking to develop electronic beats, the Drummer tool comes in handy on those occasions as well. With over 30 genres of beats to offer ranging from EDM to dubstep to Pop Rock, GarageBand makes sure your songs and music are not lacking manpower in the percussion section. If you do not have a drummer to accompany you, GarageBand offers virtual drummers. All you need to do is set the tempo and adjust roll sequences. The virtual player is equipped to play in a million different variations. The 10.2 updates of Garageband has seen the Drummer Loops option come into effect. Essentially recorded drum loops, you can cut and copy portions from the looper into your tracks.
Not only can you virtually play instruments like the keyboard and the drums but also create your own with the help of recorded audio clips. Known as the secret sampler, the AUSampler of GarageBand makes this feature possible. AUSampler is a sophisticated sampler that takes input in the form of audio recordings to create instruments that will replicate the same sound but in different keys and scales.
A firm favourite for guitarists, the electronic amplifiers, and pedalboards that GarageBand has to offer, makes it an obvious choice ahead of its contemporaries. The amplifiers provide users with both options of using ready-made tones or making unique ones by mixing and matching the knobs. Once you plug in your guitar with the help of an audio interface into your device, the tones will be activated. A full-screen pedalboard display makes it easier to control settings while you are recording a piece on the application.
GarageBand also provides comprehensive support to keyboard players, both classical and electronic. The application contains a 6-octave virtual keyboard that can be played from your device’s keyboard. Alternatively, if you are a MacBook user, the Touch Bar at the top of your keyboard can also be synced with the virtual keyboard and used to play it. MIDI keyboard players also choose GarageBand over other applications owing to its easy recording and import process. Quite unexpectedly, GarageBand offers free classical piano and guitar lessons in blues and jazz unlike any music production application in the industry.
The Logic Pro Remote feature that comes with the Logic Pro X application is compatible with GarageBand also. This essentially offers users the freedom of creating music from any synced Apple Device from anywhere in the room. Tracks completed can be customized and exported in the quality that is required by you. These features make GarageBand the best choice when it comes to producing music on a designated software!
Features Of GarageBand
- Users can both record and play multiple audio tracks using this music sequencer.
- Built-in audio filters allow users in applying different effects such as echo, distortion, reverb etc.
- It can record at 24 and 16-bit Audio Resolution for greater versatility.
- In-built tuning system helps out with effective imitation of Auto Tune effect and pitch correction.
- Large collection of software modelled synthesisers helps with the creation of original compositions and playing live music via the USB MIDI keyboard.
- Synthesisers are divided into analog and digital group both of which are stacked with adjustable parameters in the form of cut off, decay, richness, sustain, standard attack and release.
- Guitar-specific tracks are also allowed by GarageBand using different stomp boxes, simulated amplifiers as well as effects processors to imitate the functioning of popular hardware’s of top companies.
- Users can layer five different simulated effects atop virtual amplifiers featuring adjustable parameters.
- The USB-interface and built-in input helps in hooking up the guitars with the Mac.
- Users can edit a record note’s various aspects such as velocity, pitch and duration by adhering to the MIDI standard.
- GarageBand offers users with the option of downloading pre-recorded music lessons for both guitar and piano.
- GarageBand features a large collection of Apple Loops that can be added to the projects. Users can search for, preview and add the loops to a project by following simple drag and drop mechanism.
Garageband Alternatives for Windows-
If you cannot find any method that works for you, and your PC isn’t able to take the load of GarageBand, you might want to opt for a software which is primarily build for a windows PC.
AudioTool is a sophisticated and high-end electronic music production studio. What started as a webpage that posted content about music and techniques of music production later changed into a full-fledged music production device called AudioTool. The specialty of this music studio is that users can develop music directly from their web browsers without having to download an AudioTool application on their devices. Any work that is done on AudioTool can be stored in cloud-based storage or downloaded on your device’s memory. This application is the perfect solution for users of all competencies who have an ever-growing knack for producing quality music!
AudioTool boasts of a modular structure of music production. Started in the early 1980s and used in almost every piece or track produced in the 90s, modular music essentially breaks up a composition in several parts. In AudioTool, you can connect modular synthesizers to the application’s dashboard with the help of an audio interface manually. This feature particularly comes in handy when you have to merge or overlap tracks, or even split them. AudioTool also offers a range of sample music pieces that you can add on your track. Samples include a huge collection of electronic beats (available in all time signatures), instrument tones, dubstep, impressive bass-lines, and drum patterns.
As mentioned before, AudioTool projects are all saved in cloud-based AudioTool servers. Once you have signed up for free from your browser and created an account, you will be able to access your work from any browser anywhere in the world. This makes sharing work with other artists extremely simple without having to worry about software constraints. When it comes to AudioTool instruments, it is noteworthy to mention Heisenberg, Pulverisateur, Machiniste, and BeatBox. With the help of these devices, you can make exceptional beats, adjust tones, and fiddle with other features like reverb, harmony, pitch, frequency, and audio gain.
If you are looking for a professional music production software that offers complete studio-like sound quality from the comfort of your home, FL Studio is your go-to. FL Studio is what is generally referred to as a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). It is a comprehensive workstation wherein you will be able to edit, mix, produce, and arrange your tracks from one single interface.
2. FL Studio
The latest version of FL Studio currently is version 20. However, you should always download the version that complements your device specifications and work requirements. Other than a PC version, FL Studio is also available as a mobile application in both the Google Play Store as well as the Apple Store. There is a nominal subscription fee if you want to access all the features of FL Studio. There is a trial version available for users on the FL Studio webpage.
FL Studio has an extensive audio library where you will get several thousand audio clips and presets. Instrument presets are also available. When it comes to virtual pianos, FL studio has one of the best virtual keyboards in the industry. All major features like Transpose, tone styles, pitch bend, sustain, and harmony are available on the keyboard. The playing style is also very simple. The keys get lined up with your keyboard in a sequence that almost feels like playing actual keys. Alternatively, FL Studio also has the option of connecting MIDI keyboards for track production.
FL Studio also provides users a virtual drum pad. An interesting feature about the drum pad is that the skin on the drum can be toned up or down to match the scale of the song it is being used in. The user interface of FL Studio is very user friendly. Coloured tracks and highlighters make it easy for editors to recognize grouped tracks during post-production. Once done, you can share your FL Studio project over Wi-Fi with other applications.
3. Music Maker JAM
Music Maker Jam is a free audio beatmaker and music production software that is available as a smartphone application for both Android and Apple users. If you want to make amazing beats and top it up with enigmatic audio effects, Music Maker Jam is your go-to application.
With the help of this application, you can either create beats from scratch or pick and choose grooves from Music Maker Jam’s samples and presets. From Trap to EDM to dubstep, Jazz, Techno, Blues, and Popular Rock, you can create music of any genre under the sun. The audio library has over 300 Mix Packs to choose from. Mix Packs contain already mixed and processed electronic beats and dubstep. There are also over five hundred thousand beat loops that users can use.
When it comes to editing and production of tracks, Music Maker’s 8-channel mixer opens up a world of possibilities that are unthinkable with conventional beat makers. Alongside beats, you can add vocals to your track, live, or pre-recorded and play around with audio effects like reverb, delay, sustain, stutter, and tune until you reach the best combination. Not to forget vocals can be perfected to the key with the AutoTune setting. Once a track is created, you can still change the time signature of the groove without disturbing any other settings. Music Maker Jam also has the feature of remixing tracks by just simply shaking the device!
Completed productions can be exported in .mp3 format and instantly shared on popular social media platforms like Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok with the help of in-app integrations. The Music Maker JAM community is a conglomerate of music lovers, artists, and producers from across the world. You can also be a part of this global family and meet new people who share an interest in music!
4. Logic Pro X
Developed by Apple Inc, Logic Pro X challenges the best of the best when it comes to producing rich studio-like music, all from your PC or laptop from anywhere in the world. Logic Pro X has digressed from conventional music-making techniques and introduced innovative styles like Live Loops, Step Sequencers, and Instrument samplers. To create music on Logic Pro X, you do not even require an instrument. The Samplers turn sounds into virtual instruments. This application is readily available to download on the Logic Pro X website. It is a paid software and users will be able to try out a free trial version before buying it.
The feature most used with Logic Pro X is the Live Loops tool. A very unique process of creating music, Live Loops draws a grid on your device screen. Tracks can be imported on each cell, be it electronically created beats or recorded clips. Loopers can also be put into cells. Tapping on a cell triggers it and the clip starts playing. You can select multiple clips, find out the best combination, and easily create sequences from the Live Loop tool. The Step Sequencer is the beatmaker of Logic Pro X. The concept of this tool has been drawn from sampling sounds from classical drums, octapads, Synthesizers, and MIDI keyboards. Alongside beats and grooves, sophisticated bass-lines with full chord progressions can also be created. To make sure beats stay fresh, roll variations and bass drops can be mastered with the Note Repeat tool.
Always associated with Logic Pro X, the Logic remote connects an iPad or iPhone with Logic Pro X running on your MacBook. An apple only functionality, users of other operating systems will not be able to benefit from this. Any changes you make to an existing project from your iPad or iPhone will be updated on your Mac and vice versa.
The Reacher music application is a powerful member of the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) niche. Essentially an audio production and mastering software, Reaper has found use in several industries. The application is used for music production, in the broadcasting industry, for voice modulation and dubbing purposes, sound engineering, and also for developing booming audio effects that you hear when you play video games. Reaper has constantly strived to develop and update existing versions to include more and more exciting features. The latest version of Reaper is 6.0, the features of which are discussed later. Reaper provides users with a 60-day trial to discover the nuances that the application has to offer, after which you will be able to download Reaper with an affordable subscription.
Reaper is equipped with a full 8 channel mixer and multi-tracker that offers users the best editing options available. The application is compatible with a variety of hardware and plugins. This mainly includes audio interfaces, vocal processors, and guitar pedals. In terms of the installation process, Reaper is quite flexible with either a portable or network drive. MIDI keyboards are well supported as it is the key ingredient in producing good electronic music. Reaper also gives users the option of recording directly into the interface.
There are over a hundred different audio effects that can take your track to another level if the combination is made right. The effects include Delay, Equalizer, Bass, Reverb, Ambient Sound, Denoiser, Declicker, and several others. With the new update, you can use the Audio-stretch Timebase option to stretch or squeeze your tracks and play with tempo and time signature. Detailed mapping of sound spikes on the track channels when enlarged gives users a clear idea of where to cut or merge tracks without breaking the tempo.
Please let us know if you have any other query about the app or installation process of Garageband for PC.