GarageBand lets you create magic with music but it all goes in vain when a song does not receive the audience reach and recognition that it deserves. The more a song is shared, the more people it reaches to and it helps an amateur musician grow into an artist. Some of the sharing options from GarageBand to popular social media platforms are highlighted in this article.
How to export from GarageBand to iMovie?
Up until version 2.3 of GarageBand, the application had several in-app integrations with most-used social media platforms like YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and SoundCloud. Using these in-app integrations, one could easily share or export their songs and productions directly onto these platforms for people to view. However, this also harboured piracy issues that finally led to GarageBand stopping this facility altogether. However, there are still several options by which you can share your GarageBand projects on social media. This process shows how to share your work from GarageBand to iMovie. By simply doing so, you will be able to make a movie out of your project. Once that is done, all you need to do is render the file and upload it on your social media handles. The steps for the same are as follows:
- Launch the GarageBand application and compose your track with the help of advanced and powerful tools the application has to offer.
- After you have completed making the project, click on the small arrow on the top left corner of your screen. This is the My Song button that will save your work along with other completed and saved projects.
- From the ‘My Songs’ window, press and hold the project that you want to export or share to iMovie. Click on the ‘Share’ button on the bottom of the screen the icon for which will look like a box with an arrow coming out of it.
- Three sharing options will pop-up on your screen. The options available are sharing your project as an audio file, turning it into a ringtone, or sharing the entire project itself that contains all multi-track recordings. Click on the ‘Song’ option from the list.
- There will be several audio quality options that will be shown on the screen. Choose the best quality that will suit your requirement from the list.
- The available applications where you can share the song will appear. If you do not have iMovie downloaded, the application will not show in this list. iMovie is free and is available in the Apple Store. Finally, Click on the ‘Copy to iMovie’ option.
- Choose whether you want to add the song to an existing project or a new project. The next step is to make a video to complement the song and render the whole project. Once done, you can easily upload the end product on all social media platforms.
How to share/export a GarageBand Project on YouTube?
As mentioned before, GarageBand has removed the option of directly sharing songs to social media platforms due to several privacy issues that were cropping up. Therefore, users need to apply different techniques to make this happen.
One of the easiest ways of doing so is via a third-party video-making application. As far as YouTube is concerned, the file has to be in a video format. Several good and efficient video editing software are available in the App Store.
- Choose any one of your choices and install it on the same device which has the GarageBand project running on it.
- Once done, go back to your GarageBand project and save it in the My Songs section of the application. This section contains all of your previously saved songs and tracks. Long press on the track that you want to export and click on the Share button on the bar at the bottom of your screen.
- You will immediately be directed to a window with three sharing options as mentioned in the process above as well. As you only want the audio file of the project you created, choose the Song option.
- Next up, you will have to choose the Audio Export Quality as well. If you have enough space to spare, the recommended export quality would be Uncompressed. This setting keeps your track intact without omitting any of the minute sound detailing. It also provides great depth to the song.
- Finally, you will have to choose an application where you want to share. For example, let us work with Adobe Premiere Pro. As you have downloaded this application, it will show on the list of applications you can share to. Choose Adobe Premiere Pro from the list.
- The video editing application will automatically open up. By default, if you have no existing project, a new project will be made and the audio file will be directly imported into it. Otherwise, you also have the option of adding the file to an existing project.
- Now add a video clip to the project and sync it with the track. If you want to adjust the volume of the track, you can do so here. After the video is made, go to File > Export > Media and render your music video. Finally, go to YouTube and drag and drop the music video into the upload video section.
The same process can be used to upload your music videos on other social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram. All you need to do is render the final music video, search your device directory for the location of the saved video, and upload it.
How to share/export GarageBand Project on SoundCloud?
SoundCloud allows up to 180 minutes (2 hours) of free music upload for all users. As it is one of the most preferred platforms where artists upload their work, the following steps will tell you how to share a project from GarageBand to SoundCloud.
- Firstly, you will have to download the SoundCloud app that is readily available to download both in the Google Play Store as well as the Apple Store. On opening the app, it will require you to either login to an existing account or create a new account if you do not have one.
- Set up your account in Sound Cloud including your name and display picture. Now head over to GarageBand and follow the same steps as were in the last two processes.
- Save your track in the “My Songs” section of GarageBand along with all the other of your saved songs.
- Click on the ‘Share’ button on the bottom of the page. Choose the Song option from the list of choices as you will want to upload a .mp3 format of the track on SoundCloud.
- Following this, you will have to choose the audio quality of the song that you want. The ‘Uncompressed’ format gives the best output when it comes to sound quality and richness in voice.
- As, you have already downloaded SoundCloud on your device, you can directly export the song there. Choose ‘SoundCloud’ from the list of options there.
- As a security check, SoundCloud will ask you to log in to your account again. Make the necessary changes in the SETTINGS part of the song. The option includes visibility, download permissions, and streaming permissions.
- Finally, click on the ‘Publish’ button to upload your song on SoundCloud.
If there’s still something you’re confused about write to us, we would love to help as much as we can.